Volunteers are the lifeblood of the International Festival of Arts & Ideas. For two weeks in June and throughout the year, over 300 volunteers from the greater New Haven region and beyond bring the Festival to life. As 80% of our events are free to the public, we rely on the passion, commitment, and support of community members to help us.
Typical volunteer opportunities include:
Engage and assist passer-bys and Festival patrons at our outdoor information booth.
- Individual shifts last 3 hours
- Small groups may commit to covering this booth for a half-day, full day, or multiple days
Welcome Festival-goers to various venues, events and activities while gathering information from Festival attendees on a formal questionnaire. Responses become part of an economic impact study used to present the Festival’s case for funding.
- Shifts last between 1-3 hours and include on-site training
Help with crowd management by tearing tickets and handing out programs, among other tasks that may arise at Festival events
- Shifts last between 2-5 hours and include on-site training
- Must have the ability to stand comfortably for a length of time
*Please note: We typically allow ushers to watch the performance on a space-available basis. However, watching the show is NOT guaranteed. The size of the audience or the demands of the particular volunteer assignment may not make it possible for ushers to watch the show.
The Festival places donation boxes on the sidewalks next to the New Haven Green during certain events. Any amount counts and Festival patrons are encouraged to give what they can. Concert Hosts welcome people to the Green while attending to the donation boxes.
- Shifts last between 1-3 hours
Help get the word out! Distribute Festival promotional materials around the community.
- Great way to help the Festival if you are short on time.
- We are especially looking for volunteers willing to distribute across the state
- We provide the brochures, postcards, and other publicity for volunteers to distribute