FIRST ANNUAL PERTH WRITING CONTEST
Sponsored by the Booksellers of Perth
The contest is open to residents of Perth and area, which includes: Town of Perth and the three townships of Tay Valley, Drummond / North Elmsley and Lanark Highlands.
• Category A: Student (age 13-17)
o Short Story (maximum 1500 words)
o Non-fiction story or essay (maximum 1500 words)
• Category B: Adult (age 18 and over)
• Entries must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant.
• There is no entry fee. Entries are limited to two per entrant: as a maximum two short stories, or two non-fiction pieces, or one of each.
• Each entry must be in English, typed, double-spaced, on 8½” x 11" paper, one side only, page-numbered consecutively on bottom right of pages.
• Indicate category, entry type (short story or non-fiction) and title on top left corner of every page.
• Contest is blind judged. Entrant's name must NOT appear on the submission(s).
• For each submission, include a separate cover page with contest category and type, title, name, address, phone number, and email address.
• Prizes for each category: First: $75.00, Second: $25.00.
• The Ottawa International Writers Festival – Perth Chapter reserves the right to withhold any prize should entries fail to meet expected standards.
• Mail entries or drop off to any of Perth ’ s booksellers:
o The Book Nook and Other Treasures, 60 Gore Street East, K7H 1H7
o The Bookworm, 76 Foster Street, K7H 1S1
o Backbeat Books and Music, 6 Wilson Street West, K7H 2M5
o The Word, 37A Foster Street, K7H 1R8
o Blackwood Originals, 1 Gore Street West, K7H 2L5
• Entries postmarked or dropped off after midnight will be disqualified.
• Submissions will be neither acknowledged nor returned.
• Entries not conforming to the above rules will be disqualified.
• Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at The Ottawa International Writers Festival – Perth Chapter Literary Event, August 22-23, 2014. Date and time of presentation will be announced.
This contest is made possible by the generous sponsorship of the booksellers of Perth and by The Perth Writers Guild, for providing contest judging