The Human Rights Arts & Film Festival (HRAFF) is looking for an experienced, skilled and passionate Chief Executive Officer to lead this rapidly growing organisation. This is a demanding position but is also a highly rewarding one. It is an opportunity to lead and develop a significant cultural event on Melbourne’s calendar with a passionate and dedicated team.
The Human Rights Arts and Film Festival (HRAFF) is a dynamic organisation that aims to make human rights accessible and engaging to everyone through creative media. In its 8th year, HRAFF has grown rapidly since its inception in 2007, presenting a two-week long festival in Melbourne before traveling to six cities across Australia.
HRAFF’s vision is a vibrant human rights culture and community across Australia.
Overview of the position
Reporting to the Chairperson of the Board, this role is to provide leadership and strategic management for the HRAFF team. Working in collaboration with the Program Director, the CEO is responsible for delivering HRAFF's strategic and operational plan in line with the artistic vision of the organisation.
This key role will be responsible for delivering the 2016 Festival, growing the organisation's corporate and philanthropic support base to ensure financial sustainability, working closely with the Program Director to ensure that HRAFF’s vision is delivered through the creative program and developing and implementing a successful marketing campaign with the Marketing & Development Manager.
Please refer to the position description below for the full list of responsibilities.
Key Selection Criteria
- Strong leadership skills, including demonstration of initiative and vision.
- Highly developed teamwork skills, including demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with and motivate a volunteer workforce.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, negotiate, secure and sustain financial and in-kind partnerships.
- Strong communication, public speaking and negotiation skills with the ability to network and build strong relationships with the media and diverse range of stakeholders.
- Experience in leading the development and implementation of strategic and business plans, establishing frameworks for decision-making and reporting and setting and achieving strategic and financial targets.
- An understanding of the opportunities and challenges that a festival presenting creative responses to human rights issues faces.
- Excellent organisational management and problem-solving skills.
- Strong financial literacy and ability to develop, understand and work to budgets.
- Established networks in key sectors in which HRAFF operates.
- Commitment to HRAFF’s objectives, mission, vision and values.
Position type: One year, full-time contract with three month probation
Salary: $60, 000 package
Reports to: Chairperson of the HRAFF Board
Time commitment: Expected time commitment averaging 38 hours per week. It is expected that hours will increase during peak periods, and significantly reduce in the period immediately following the Festival. The CEO will need to attend 2-hour board meetings every 6 weeks, which will normally be outside of regular business hours. Some interstate and international travel is required.